Your almost grown-up gem wants to enjoy some bike adventures with you, and for that case, bike trailer for big kid comes in handy. Usually, carts attached to a bike can handle up to 40 pounds but considering that your child might be needing more than that, you need a stronger bike trailer.
In this article, I’m going to introduce you to a bike trailer for big kid with height and width in which your child that can comfortably fit in and so strong that it can that can even support the weight of an average six-year-old child. I’ll give you some good pointers on what to look at the best bike trailer for big kid and introduce you to my favorite bike carriers for your child.
Burley Design Minnow
Your big kid doesn’t need a stroller or a jogger. He can walk or jog along with you but perhaps he’s yet to know how to cycle, and that’s why you need a bike trailer. In as such, you might not need a trailer with an extra stroller or jogger conversion features. Why pay for something that you won’t utilize. As long as the trailer is safe, comfortable and can accommodate your child’s weight, then you can settle on it.
Burley Design Minnow is a perfect match for your older child, considering the kid’s size and needs. It is a bike trailer without jogger or stroller conversion feature and is designed to accommodate one child. It is one of the tallest trailers that you can find currently on the market, designed to cater to older and taller children. In fact, an average-sized five-year-old will fit into it comfortably and still leave some space. It is 27.5 inches high and 16 inches wide and has a load capacity of 75 pounds. This bike trailer for big kid is available in a combination of green and black colors.
Besides the large space, I like Burley Design Minnow because:
- It has a high load capacity (75 pounds).
- It has Tinted windows which protect a child from harmful UV rays
- The cabin’s front part is sunken to offer additional legroom when a child wants to stretch his or her legs.
- Its front portion flaps down to help your child enter and exit hassle-free and safely.
- Has a large storage section.
- Comes out of the box with an adjustable five-point harness for your kid’s safety.
- It is not easy for a kid to unbuckle himself/herself as a significant amount of pressure is needed to release the buckle.
However, I only wish the trailer could come with some seat padding and have a better “floor” other than the canvas material.
- High and wide passenger space
- Adjustable five-point harness
- It isn’t easy for a kid to release the buckle
- Large storage section
- It is designed to carry one child
- Doesn’t come with seat padding
Frequently asked questions
Q: Does the trailer have a storage compartment behind the passenger’s seat?
Yes, it has. Actually, the storage compartment is so big that it a diaper bag and several personal supplies can easily fit in it.
Q: Do I have to purchase any extra hardware to attach it the trailer to my bike? Or it is ready-to-attach out of the box?
I was able to attach mine out of the box without having to purchase any extra hardware. I’m almost sure that you won’t need to buy anything else for the attachment purpose.
Best Multifunctional Bike Trailer for Big Kid
If you still feel that you need a trailer for big kid that doubles as a stroller or a jogger, then I would advise you to give Burley Design Solo a try, and I’m convinced that you won’t regret it. You can easily convert it into a jogger, sled or stroller.
Designed to carry one kid, the trailer has an interior seated height of 25 inches, an internal seated width of 19 inches and legroom of 21 inches while the load capacity is 75 pounds. You can get it in red/black or green/black color combinations.
Having had first-hand experience with the bike trailer for big kid, here are some of the things that I like about it:
- It has a spacious passenger and cargo areas
- Its sides are bowed out to offer an extra room for the passenger’s shoulders.
- Its seat features Padded Spring Integrated Technology which prevents the tangling of straps and makes it easy for a kid to enter or exit.
- The adjustable shade offers UV protection while the water-proof zippers protect your kid from the rain.
- It has a high load capacity of 75 pounds.
- Has five-point harness system
- Large passenger and cargo areas
- Five-point harness system
- Adjustable sunshade for UV protection
- Padded Spring Integrated Technology preventing strap tangling
- Premium features
- Easily foldable
- Can only carry one kid
Either Burley Design Solo or Burley Design Minnow is a suitable bike trailer for big kid as both of them have large passenger compartments and can stand to carry a weight of up to 75 pounds, besides having premium safety features. However, if you want a bike trailer that you can also use as a jogger, sled or stroller, Burley Design Solo is the best option.
I hope that you liked my Best Bike Trailer for Big Kid [Extra Spacious Picks] article and I hope to see you soon!
Favorite Picks by Other Readers
(If you can’t see this you need to disable your ad-blocker)